This is mainly backroads that cut through farm country. The roads cross over more rolling hills as you go from Clifton to Hico. This is a great set of roads to ride off an afternoon.
Watch out for salt water trucks on the first half of the ride. The second half of the ride has more sweeping turns and elevation changes during the turns.
Places to stop:
Cranfills Gap as the Horny Toad Bar & Grill, a very popular place to ride to for bikers within the area.
Hico as the Koffee Kup Cafe - voted one of the best places to eat in Texas in 2006 - and a leather shop on the west side of town.
Approx. 100 miles
1. Leave Cleburne headed south on south Main St / Tx-171 / Tx-174.
2. Just out of town, turn right to stay on Tx-174 towards Rio Vista.
3. Past Rio Vista, turn left onto FM 56.
4. Make a right at the intersection with Tx-22.
5. Almost a mile and a half later turn left onto FM 219 towards Clifton.
6. Stay on FM 219 through Clifton and Cranfills Gap to Fairy.
7. In Fairy turn right onto FM 1602 towards Hico.
8. At the intersection with Tx-281, turn right and ride across the bridge into Hico.