These roads go through some rural areas around Abilene. The views are the most amazing in Texas, but the roads are some of the best in the area.
Watch for locals hugging the center of the county roads.
Places to stop:
Abilene is always a good place to have a bite to eat.
Approx. 100 miles
1. Leaving Abilene, take Tx-351 northeast.
2. A little over two miles on Tx-351, turn left onto FM-1082.
3. Turn left onto FM-1082 for two miles.
4. Turn left onto FM-600/FM-1082 for less than one mile.
5. Turn left back onto FM-1082.
6. Upon entering Hawley, turn left on Ave E/ RR-1226 for less than a quarter mile.
7. At the intersection with US-277, turn left for one mile.
8. From US-277, turn right onto RR-605/ FM-605.
9. Turn left onto FM-126 towards Merkel.
10. In Merkel, turn left on Tx-39, and then back onto RR-126/ Ash St.
11. Tx-126 turns into RR-126 just before FM-89, turn left on FM-89.
12. FM-89 turns into RR-89, ride it past Lake Abilene and through Abilene State Park towards Buffalo Gap.
13. Stay on FM-89 through Buffalo Gap into Abilene.