Ponderosa Pine Scenic Byway is a favorite road for many riders because of its hairpins and switchbacks. You will go over both Mores Creek Summit (6,118 feet) and Banner Ridge Summit (7,056 feet) on this ride and the views at many of the overlooks are amazing. There are numerous hot springs along this route so bring a swim suit (although they are not required at all of the springs) and soak some of the road aches off along the way.
Watch for wildlife and loose rocks from small slides on the sides of the road
Places to stop:
There are many historic buildings in Idaho City which was once one of the largest cities in this part of the country in the mid-to late 1800's because of the gold rush.
About 35 miles north of Idaho City you will find Kirkham Hot Springs
About 20 miles north of Lowman is the Bonneville Campground and Hot Springs.
At the Challis Hot Springs and Campground you will find another great hot spring to relax in and a nice campground if you decide to stay the night.
Approx. 200 miles
1. Head southeast on Warm Springs Ave toward S Council Spring Rd 2.5 mi
2. Turn left at ID-21/Warm Springs Ave
Continue to follow ID-21 30.9 mi
3. Head east on ID-21/Ponderosa Pine Scenic/Ponderosa Pine Scenic Rte toward King Rd 22.6 mi
4. Turn left to stay on ID-21/Ponderosa Pine Scenic/Ponderosa Pine Scenic Rte 10.1 mi
5. Turn right to stay on ID-21/Ponderosa Pine Scenic/Ponderosa Pine Scenic Rte 21.7 mi
6. Turn left to stay on ID-21/Ponderosa Pine Scenic/Ponderosa Pine Scenic Rte
Continue to follow ID-21 16.9 mi
7. Turn left to stay on ID-21 13.0 mi
8. Turn right to stay on ID-21 0.2 mi
9. Turn right to stay on ID-21 4.5 mi
10. Turn left at Eva Falls Ave/ID-21 2.5 mi
11. Turn left at ID-75 13.1 mi
12. Turn right to stay on ID-75 42.0 mi
13. Turn left at US-93 2.0 mi