Lots and lots of typical backroads. This is a good ride if you enjoy open spaces and roads to yourself.
Places to stop:
Caballo Reservoir is a good place to find some shade and enjoy a breeze off the water.
Approx. 75 miles
1. Head north out of Las Cruces on NM-185 towards Rodey.
2. Turn right onto NM-140 for less than two miles.
3. Turn left onto NM-154 for a little more than two miles.
4. Turn right onto County Road E069 headed under IH-25.
5. Turn right onto CR 0068.
6. At the next intersection, turn right and go a little past three miles.
7. At the next intersection, turn right and go a little more than a mile.
8. At the next intersection, turn left and go for five miles.
9. Turn hard right at the next intersection.
10. At the next intersection, turn right.
11. At the next intersection turn left.
12. Stay on this road all the way into Caballo Lake State Park.
13. Ride through the park and stay on NM-187.
14. Stay on 187 skirting the Caballo Reservoir and ride into Caballo.