AWSOME!!! This is amazing country to find in the middle of what most people think is desert wasteland. The scenery is really amazing all along this ride.
Watch out for slow moving vehicles and wildlife. Tourists and animals are out there.
Places to stop:
All of the towns you ride through on this ride are cool places to stop and enjoy life. Cloudcroft is a favorite place to stop though for food and drink.
Approx. 125 miles
1. Leave out of Alamogordo headed north on US 54/ US 70.
2. Stay with the road as it turns into US 82 and heads east.
3. In High Rolls turn south onto Karr Canyon Rd.
4. At the intersection with Sunspot Hwy, turn right.
5. Follow it along onto Sacramento Canyon Rd, it will become FS 537.
6. Stay on FS 537 through Timberon.
7. After almost five miles, turn left onto FR 5556.
8. Continue onto Surveyors Canyon Rd, it will become FR 506 and go into Pinon.
9. In Pinon, go left onto NM-24 back into Lincoln National Forest.
10. Turn right on NM-130 towards Mayhill.
11. In Mayhill, turn left onto US-82 towards Wimsatt.
12. Ride through Wimsatt, Cloudcroft, and High Rolls headed back into Alamogordo.