This ride has one of the best roads in the state!!! FM 4 from Palo Pinto to Santo is amazing. Beautiful views, great twists and turns. I also suggest doing it from both directions it is like a totally different road. You will also some of the beautiful court houses in the area, as well as some beautiful open areas.
Last I went on this ride the bridge in Santo was out and I had to detour but it was a nice detour. Some of the smaller roads on this ride do have pot holes in places so keep an eye out for those. And as always watch for deer and people in cars, neither will see you.
Places to stop:
Weatherford - IHOP (Nothing beats pancakes and coffee).
Mingus - Boars Nest (cheap beer and pool)
Stephenville - Hard 8 (finish the pork chop and your more of a man than I am)
Cool side trip - from Hard 8 take US281 to Hico to visit Cody's Traiding Post
Also for the ladies (Sorry guys) The square in Granbury has a ton of shops full of stuff.
Approx. 125 miles
1. Leave Weatherford heading west on US-180
2. Continue through Mineral Wells and into Palo Pinto
3. In Palo Pinto turn left onto FM 4
4. Take FM 4 through Santo to IH 20
5. Go west on IH-20 about 7 miles to Exit 373
6. Exit onto TX 193 towards Gordon
7. In Gordan turn left at FM 919
8. In Mingus turn Left onto HWY 108
9. Take Hwy 108 to IH-20
10. Go East on IH-20 about 2.5 miles
11. Exit 370/ TX 108 towards Stephenville
12. In Stephenville turn left onto US 377
13. In Granbury take the exit for Business 377 and go to the square.
14. On the square turn left onto FM 51 back to Weatherford.
Weatherford, Mineral Wells, Palo Pinto, Mingus - not a big selection, Stephenville, Granbury